Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Politics of Kalydeco

Don't you just love politics? The first cure for cystic fibrosis, the first drug that targets the underlying cause of CF and I have no idea when and if it will be available in the UK. I am hopeful, but hope is all I have at the moment. The company that owns the drug (Vertex) wants to make as much profit as possible, the NHS wants to save money. The total CF budget for the UK is 100 Million. If Vertex charges what it does in America then it will cost 50 million to treat 5% of the people with CF who have the G551D gene and can benefit from Kalydeco. There is posturing on both sides and the months tick by. Meanwhile people on the transplant list are one bad cold away from intensive care. Please sign this if you can, if only to raise the profile of Kalydeco / vx770 :

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/34753

We're currently trying to gather together as many people as possible who have the G551D CF gene. Please leave a message if you know anyone in the UK who has G551D.

I have been on holiday to Kefalonia for a week and have not posted about it. For shame. It was ridiculously lovely and probably my favourite holiday for a long time. I think staying in a villa suits me much more than the battery farm approach of all-inclusive resorts I have been to with the family recently which were fine enough but looking back I was perhaps missing something I only get when we can do what we want when we want. Here's some photos...



No comments: