Friday, February 6, 2009


I had my annual on Wednesday, so no breakfast in the morning *although* I had to make Abby's and get my misses a cup of tea in bed with my stomach rumbling; life can be cruel ;-). Annoyingly, I arrived before any of the CF Team did and had to hang around with a rumbling tum in the temporary heart outpatient waiting room. First I had a shed load of blood tests (CRP, IgE, Glucose, aspergillus, theophyllin, SATs, etc) and the glucose tolerance test. I will find out the results from all of these in about a months time. I had an ultrasound as well (no, I'm not pregnant ;-)) to check whether my liver and kidneys were up to scratch. I had to get towed by wheelchair to the ultrasound because I was on the glucose test and walking the entire length of the hospital (and getting lost, obviously) would burn the glucose off faster than normal. I was initially very reluctant to do this, but by the end I was loving being pushed around by the two lovely nursers ;-).

My weight was up to 10 stone 9 for the first time in many years which was a small but great achievment; I hardly ever (not for the last 10 years anyway) go over the 10 and half stone barrier and have been making a real effort to eat 5 times a day (3 main meals and 2 inbetweeners), shoveling in high fat foods (like pork pies) for mid morning snacks. My FVC was down (FEV1 3.1 FVC 3.65; it was 4.1 in November) quite a bit which I'm a bit mystified by as I feel fine chest-wise, and I have been making an effort to do all my nebs, plus my sputum has been very light. (I normally do FEV readings in the afternoons, maybe my chest is tighter in the mornings? Or is the ABPA coming back?) Anyway, I've decided to give it a month and see if things improve, if not I'll hit it with the IVs. I am supposed to be starting the training for the Manchester Run this month, so it will be interesting to see if exercise improves things.

I then saw the new physiotherapist (who looks a bit like Maria from Holby, except with an Irish accent, mmmmm ;-)), the dietitian, and the social worker who is also Irish ("to be sure, you don't look that old"), who told me about the Willow foundation. Didn't see Mary Dodd, she hasn't done hands on physiotherapy for a while now but she's usually around. Hope she enjoys her retirement, she's been a great help to me over the years. I decided to ask the physio for a flutter device after hearing some rave reviews on the CF forum, but she gave me an accapella instead, so I'll give it a go for the next month or so, she seemed more keen on me doing exercise if I'm honest. Finally, after the glucose test had been completed I could have my tea, toast, chocolate, an X-Ray, and then escape!


Gemma said...

acapellas are evil to your cheeks when you first start using them! Just a warning! they are better than flutter, you do it laid down and stuff. I do mine a slouching position usually...! When we have out gtt we are not allowed to do anything atall, not even get wheelchaired around. It's sooo boring!!

Woody said...

Yes, I did a few practise puffs with the pysio wacthing me and she said I should tense my was only afterwards I realised it makes your cheeks wobble like you're playing a trumpet or something. v embaressing! ;-)